Welcome to Portage - the Port of Opportunity!
Below you will find important links to different resources within our community. Members of our knowledgeable and friendly chamber staff are available to assist you at our office Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm. If you do not find the information you are looking for on this website, please feel free to stop by or call us.
Call us for your residential or business welcome packet!
- Located on the Southern tip of Lake Michigan with convenient access to beautiful sand dune beaches.
- Boating and fishing (city and several private marinas)
- In the heart of the steel industry of the US.
- 45 minutes outside Chicago for customers, suppliers, entertainment and recreation.
- Easy access to major highways: I-80/90, I-94, US 12, US 20 and I-65.
- Home of the International Port of Indiana, the largest port on the Great Lakes servicing over 100 foreign ships a year plus lake barges.
- 20 miles from the Gary/Chicago airport for cargo and passenger air services.
- 12 miles from the Valparaiso Airport for private air services.
- Bus charter from downtown Portage to Chicago Midway and O'Hare airports.
- Access to the SouthShore Commuter Trains to Chicago
- Access to commercial rail lines such as CSX, Northfolk Southern and Indiana Harbor Belt.
- Five riverboat casinos in neighboring cities
- 15 miles from the Radisson Hotel and Star Plaza Theatre
- Community Concert Association
- Two public golf courses
- City parks
- Six-mile paved Prairie Dunleand Trail for walking, running and bicycling
- NWI's only IMAX Theater